Faculty: Will you Mentor a New Researcher?
Wednesday, May 23, 2018
Faculty are invited to mentor a novice undergraduate student in research as part of the CEWiT Emerging Scholars Research Experience for Undergraduate Women (CEWiT REU-W). To be eligible, submitted faculty research projects in this program must actively engage students with computing and/or technology.
Mentors will receive $500 for their research accounts.
- Program begins October 8, 2018 and ends May 3, 2019.
- Students receive 5 hours of research course credit for the entire program (2 credits in the fall and 3 credits in the spring, which includes a research methods class).
- Students compete in the spring campus-wide CEWiT Poster Competition.
- Student participants have little or no prior research experience.
- Provide student with 8-10 hours of work/tasks per week on research project.
- Set weekly goals/tasks for your student.
- Meet face-to-face once per week and maintain communication with your student regarding progress throughout the program.
- Work with student to complete her end of semester reports due 5pm, Friday, Dec. 7, 2018 and Friday, April 26, 2019.
- Support your student in her research poster creation for competition on Friday, April 12, 2019.
- Involve the student with creative or innovative use of technology or computing.
- Attend Fall REU Orientation for new faculty mentors, if applicable.
Act quickly! The deadline to apply is Tuesday, July 10, 2018.