The mission of the Center of Excellence for Women in Technology (CEWiT) is to empower IU Bloomington women faculty, staff, students, and alumnae to be leaders in technology fields and to fully leverage technology in support of academic and professional excellence. By equipping women with the resources, training, and intellectual network to support their full participation in technology--rich fields and environments, CEWiT will amplify the strength and impact of IU Bloomington teaching, research, and service; attract top women technologists, students, and institutional and corporate partners; facilitate pioneering interdisciplinary collaborations and entrepreneurial innovations; and serve as a national model for increasing women’s meaningful engagement with technology.
The IU Center of Excellence for Women in Technology is committed to:
- Empowering women to use technology to benefit their careers, their disciplines, and their local and global communities
- Celebrating the successes and accomplishments of technical women at Indiana University
- Enhancing the research quality, efficiency, effectiveness, and influence of women faculty at IU through the strategic and widespread use of technology
- Strengthening interdisciplinary academic excellence through a deeply interconnected network of faculty, staff, student, and alumnae women technologists, and supporting their continued career development
- Expanding the pipeline of women entering technology fields as students, graduates, faculty, and staff
- Promoting inclusivity in our departments, classrooms and lab environments
- Promoting an environment which supports the development of women in technology through teaching, learning, and experiential exploration.
- Eliminating barriers to full participation in a technology-driven society
Our vision is to create a state-of-the-art, richly equipped technological “collaboratory” that will serve as a gathering space, classroom, multidisciplinary research lab, and program office. From this central hub or “Techscape,” CEWiT will provide a pervasive network of opportunities for professional development, research, scholarship, mentoring, collaboration, and outreach. Building on the momentum CEWiT has established in its first year through its 300+ members and actively engaged faculty, staff, and student alliances, Techscape will become a nationally recognized beacon for women technologists and an agent of transformation ensuring that women at and beyond IU Bloomington become leaders in technological advancement and innovation.
In order to achieve our vision, we have developed a detailed, comprehensive plan with five strategies. The Strategic Plan can be viewed here.